How to make Mutabbal, the spiced Egyptian version of Baba Ghanoush, a delicious and super healthy aubergine salad /dip, in 5 easy steps:
- Grill the 3 large aubergines until completely charred and collapsed all arround (1h). Allow to cool.
- Cut aubergines leghthways and scoop the flesh out into a sieve. Leave to drain more than 30 minutes.
- Stir the juice of two lemons and 2 tb.sp. tahini in a bowl, until your mixture is creamy smooth. Add one big finely chopped garlic glove, season with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and cumin.
- Add the aubergine flesh into the tahini mixture and mash gently with a fork. Cover and leave flavors to blend for few hours.
- To serve top mixture with olive oil, parsley, and a dash of cumin. Eat with arabic pita bread.
For best results use only quality ingredients
You better don’t:
-panic with the burning smell when grilling the aubergines, smokiness is what defines baba ghanoush.
-squeeze the aubergines. You’ll get a dryish result.
-blender the mixture. Puree textiture not wanted.
-add the parsley in the mixture before serving, fresh is always better.